Measuring the Health of Democracies
These round table discussions will deal with theories and visions of democracy, and the tools and indicators at our disposal to measure the health and status of democracies.
- September 11, 2017, 12:45 pm – 4:00 pm
- Ballroom, Thomson House, McGill University
Roundtable 1 – Theories and Visions of Democracy (12:45—2:15)
- Professor Daniel Weinstock – Director, McGill Institute for Health and Social Policy, McGill University
- Professor Marc-André Bodet – Associate Professor, Université Laval
- Professor Dietlind Stolle – Director, Centre for the Study of Democratic Citizenship, McGill University
- Professor Elizabeth Goodyear-Grant – Director, Institute of Intergovernmental Affairs, Queen’s University
Coffee Break: 2:15-2:30
Roundtable 2 – Measuring Democracy: Tools and Indicators (2:30–4:00)
- Professor Michael Coppedge – University of Notre Dame and Principal investigator on the Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) project
- Professor Aaron Erlich – McGill University
- Mike Morden, Research Director at Samara Canada
This event is co-sponsored by the Centre for the Study of Democratic Citizenship, the McGill Institute for the Study of Canada, the Groupe de recherche sur le fonctionnement de la démocratie as well as the Government of Canada.