What is the Polidoc Contest?
- PoliDoc is a contest organized by the Centre for the Study of Democratic Citizenship (CSDC) and the Consortium on Electoral Democracy (C-DEM), aimed at Quebec CEGEP and undergraduate students in the context of Canada’s Democracy Week 2020. To participate in the contest, students are asked to submit a short documentary proposal on topics related to democracy, civic engagement, political participation, representation, diversity, and other topics related to the exercise of democracy.
- One winning project will be selected. The winner of the PoliDoc contest receives a $1000 stipend along with the chance to direct their short documentary. The winner is given access to technical staff (camera, sound, editing and post-production), coaching, equipment as well as some travel expenses.
- The finalized short documentary was screened during the following year’s Democracy Week, in September 2020.
- Two documentaries were awarded on the last edition in September 2018: “Right on the Rise”, by Benjamin Aloi and Carlo Mole, and “Prête, pas prête” by Gabriella Quesnel-Olivo.
Polidoc 2020 – Screening and Roundtable
On Friday, September 18, 2020 a noon, the CSDC organized a screening of the winning documentary, followed by a roundtable on immigration, integration and the rise of the extreme right.
The 2019-2020 Polidoc Contest’s Winner, “Derrière les frontières” by Solène Anson, was given the opportunity to screen her documentary. The screening was followed by a Q&A session moderated by Alexandre Sheldon.
The screening was followed by a roundtable immigration, integration and the rise of the extreme right. The roudtable was moderated by Prof. Frédérick Bastien (UdeM, political science). The participants were:
- Mathieu Caron Diotte (PhD student, UdeM, Psychology)
- Audrey Gagnon (PhD candidate, Concordia, Political Science)
- Allison Harell (Professor, UQAM, Political Science)
- Ian Van Haren (PhD student, McGill, Sociology)
Polidoc 2020 in the media
- February 9, 2020 – Radio Canada – “Deux étudiants de l’UQAT remportent un prix pour leur projet de documentaire“
- September 16, 2020 – UQAT Nouvelles – “Un finissant et une finissante de l’UQAT présenteront en primeur leur documentaire « Derrière les frontières » au POLIDOC 2020“